Research Assistant Generalist
Type of Employment: Full-time, 8-week Contract
To apply: Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, as well as your confirmation that you fall within the approved constituency, Halifax Area, for funding*.
Plastic Oceans Canada is seeking a Research Assistant who resides in Halifax to join our growing team! If you are driven to make a change to promote the health of our oceans through collecting, sorting and analyzing data of what’s washing up on our shores, this position could be for you!
As a Research Assistant, you will report to the Program Manager and occasionally to the Executive Director. You will be joining a small team with big dreams of reducing and eliminating plastic from our waste streams for the health of the oceans.
If selected for this role, you will be responsible for collecting and managing data, compiling summary reports, and liaising with future participants and partners of our annual The Circular Economy Ambassador Program.
- As appropriate to the specified position, code and verify data in accordance with specified research protocol. Entering data into a computer database and/or spreadsheet application for subsequent analysis by team lead.
- Identifies and compiles lists of potential research locations in accordance with study objectives and parameters, as appropriate to the individual position
- Reviews and edits data to ensure completeness and accuracy of information; follows up with subjects to resolve problems or clarify data collected
- Other data collection as required
- Prepares reports to interpret and summarize collected data
- Liaises with program participants to problem solve
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
Requirements and Qualifications
- Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis
- Advanced experience with spreadsheets and/or database applications in the compilation of research data
- Computer data entry skills
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling techniques
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to evaluate, verify and edit research data.
- Ability to create summary reports that analyzes and interprets data
- Under the age of 30
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Remote and independent work, must have own equipment including laptop, reliable internet connection and effective work space
- Interactions with the public (following COVID-19 restrictions)
- Light physical effort
- Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as those found in the natural environment
- Working schedule to be determined upon interview
About Plastic Oceans Canada
Plastic Oceans Foundation Canada was established in 2016 as a non-profit organization and a Registered Canadian Charity. It is part of a global organization with offices in the US (global headquarters), Chile, Mexico, Europe and Los Angeles.
Plastic Oceans Canada’s mission is to inform, inspire and incite action to solve plastic pollution through its four pillars; activism, advocacy, education and science. Plastic Oceans Canada creates change by supporting and implementing programs to clean our coastlines, advocate for Canadian businesses to take impactful steps towards eliminating their plastic footprint, educating the public on plastic pollution to achieve behaviour change, and creating community involvement with its BlueCommunities program.
Together, we can create a healthier ocean for a healthier you.